Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tried and Tested: The Julian Wu Life Project.

One Sunday afternoon in 2009, I was sitting with a cross generational group of mates at The Brunswick Green. One had decided to go to Canada for a year, and was reminiscing about Melbourne life. She talked about the food, the gigs, and then Julian Wu came up. Julian Wu as a fixture on the Melbourne Music scene for as long as anyone could remember. Not a band member, but a fan. It was at that point when 5 out of 6 all had encountered Julian Wu at some stage of their gig going lives. Rather curiously, no-one actually knew him personally.

My mission? To find out just who Julian Wu was. So I interviewed him for a school project and found out he was much more than just a fan. The reason why we'd seen him so often was because he used to go out almost every night of the week and to multiple gigs. He had a belief that every band deserves a chance, because who knows? They could be the best band in the world at that moment.

In the past I used to go to gigs say once every three weeks. With university I'd been even less. So by the end of my course I decided to do the unthinkable: Live life like Julian Wu. Well not in every respect, just try to go to as many gigs as possible to come to terms with The Melbourne Music Scene.

This is the blog that has the rundown of the bands I've seen in 2010. I've censored some of my opinion, but some I haven't. I am no music expert, just a fan.

First a disclaimer: These words are merely my opinion based on experience, and my opinion could be totally wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment